Skip to main content

Forming a Teaching Philosophy

This school year I have been feeling a build up of ideas and thoughts on education. What used to be hesitant questioning is morphing into ideas that could actually benefit my students. Let's start with standards. Someone came up with these teaching standards, albeit well-intention, intelligent someones, and I see so many students fail to meet these standards. As a special education teacher working in inclusion I see the gaps in students that don't have an IEP. Some aren't even in RTI, and yet they are not grasping the information that is set before them. To be fair, there are a group of students that truly "get it". The difference between the groups- interest, and motivation.

Another thing I've noticed is that students aren't intrinsically motivated to exceed in school. I believe this stems from a lack of that feeling of success that drives many of us. That feeling of accomplishment, knowing you work hard for something is addictive once achieved. Are we saying "good job" for a product that isn't really that good? Should we expect more? Meeting state standards isn't what motivates students, rather meeting a teacher's expectations would be a better motivator for students, especially in elementary school. My idea is to start with something small. Give an assignment that the student has to work hard at, but will have a high rate of achievement. Spark the flame of accomplishment. This could create the intrinsic motivation that students will benefit from for years to come.

Now for Mindset. Yes, I'm talking Growth Mindset. I know it's a buzzword, right alongside Grit. But isn't this what we want for our students? I want my students to change their thinking. I want them to shift their thinking from "I can't do this.", "This is too hard.", "I'll never get this right." to the exact opposite mindset of "I CAN!" and "I WILL!". Part of this shift is giving our students the tools they need to meet the expectations of their teachers. If a student can't read the text, let them ear read the text. If they have a hard time writing a paper, give them strategies to get through the paper successfully. If math remains a mystery, allow them to learn from different people in different ways.

At this moment in time, we have so many different opportunities to present information that could reach every student. It's really incredible when you realize how far we've come in acquiring knowledge and searching information. A quote from the podcast The Edupreneur (episode 73) blew my mind. Eric Sheninger said, "We are preparing our students for a world that no longer exists.". Isn't this true? The world has changed in such a profound way in just one generation. The jobs that are now available didn't exist when we were kids. People are actually making a living as YouTubers (ask any 4th grader about Pat and Jen).

So, how can we meet the needs of our students so that they are prepared for the world that does exist, while still building on skills that are necessary- reading, writing, and math? I haven't figured that part out yet. I'm still learning. But I'm going to try to understand the world my student's live in, the world they are growing into, and how I can prepare them. What I am sure of is that academic standards are always trumped by having the right mindset and attitude to meet current and future academic and professional expectations. Our students need to develop a good work ethic, confidence, and know how to fail, and get back up. As teachers, we have an incredible opportunity to teach skills, strategies, and mindset. I feel privileged to be part of that growth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mistakes

I make so many mistakes. For real. Sitting in a meeting, with nothing in front of me to write on or with. Why? Sometimes I can be ON IT, and other times, good luck getting anything intelligible to come out of my mouth. I forget copies for people, forget to send things to parents, fill in the wrong form, be late ANYWHERE. I hate making mistakes. I feel miserable like I've failed myself or someone else terribly. BUT I have to work on this in myself so I can teach my students that it's ok to make mistakes. It really is. I've learned positive self-talk, and what happens in my brain when I send it those positive messages. I try to keep a growth mindset in myself because how can I teach growth mindset if I don't have it. Today, I taught growth mindset. It's amazing to watch the kids open up about how they talk to themselves, and how they feel during the school day. I'm glad I can take that time with them. I showed them how the neurons and synapses in their brains